To all who visit: relax, enjoy and welcome to my life:

"Life is not of getting but of giving."

Saturday, October 1, 2011

Horseback Riding

Horseback Riding with the Youngest

     One of the by-products of sobriety, or leading a good life is the Good Life. I think it is a matter of perception, of gratitude for the things my God has put into my life as opposed to being upset or angry over things I do not do not have. Many evenings and nights I drank over what I perceived to be slights, injustices, not getting what I think I deserved and people trying to hold me down. In the process of getting sober, I had to look at and rid myself (with God’s help naturally) of this character defects. Once gone, I could see the world as it was, and realize it was a rather nice place to live in. More importantly, as my perception of the world changed and my gratitude increased I could start seeing how much my life had changed for the better and see what the important things in my life really were.

     Now I have two daughters, currently 15 and 12 yrs of age. I can remember all the good and bad times over the years. Many more good times than bad thankfully. But girls do grow up, and the little girls who used to cuddle with papa on the couch, watch TV and fall asleep next to me are now either growing into or are fine young women. I miss those days. There was something about that, my daughter cuddled next me, relaxed watching TV and falling asleep the made it feel like all was right in the world, God is in his heaven, with just a touch of Him or His grace next to me, I am pretty sure they call that serenity.

     So the other night I took my youngest daughter to her new horseback riding stable. The old one having quit giving lessons. The new one does western style and dressage. Now this always special to me because I love my daughter and I love animals and it gives me a chance for that special papa, daughter time I miss. I think animals love me because they know I pose absolutely no threat to them and also because I am on the same IQ level..lol. My daughters, both of them , take after papa in that aspect, for animals love them too.

     So there it is, a nice fall/autumn afternoon. The sun is out, the temperature a little cool, and my youngest riding in circles on horseback following the directions of her trainer. Her blonde hair tucked up under her riding helmet, a big ol smile plastered on her face, and not a fear or care in the world. I am watching her as I played with the barnyard cat, (guess she thought I was I her play toy) just full of fatherly pride and admiration.

     My God gives me plenty to be grateful for. For me it is a matter of perception and how I choose to view it. His beauty, blessings and gifts are all around me daily, my job is to look, see, acknowledge it and show my gratitude for them. I slept very well that night, knowing I had received a gift, saw it as such, acknowledged it a such and was grateful for it. Memories are sweet and wonderful and sometimes bitter sweet, for while I love my time doing this, I know also that it to may come to an end as with the cuddling on the couch. No matter how hard I try, my daughters refuse to stay at one age, and continue to grow and amaze me. Nice thing is my God is there to show me how wonderful each event can be.. thank you.....

1 comment:

  1. Well, i miss the moments when the kids were small. But i realize that every age has its advantages,dont you think so?
    Pia

    ReplyDelete