To all who visit: relax, enjoy and welcome to my life:

"Life is not of getting but of giving."

Monday, January 28, 2013

The Worn Trail


The Worn Trail

     There is a commonality of spirit that allows me not to ever be alone anymore. A by-product of sobriety, it was when I realized I wasn't unique. I am sober, and so are others, some who had a drinking problem and are recovering, and some who just don't drink alcohol. I am a father, as are lot of other men. I am divorced and so are some other people I know. I am retired from the Army, and I know plenty of others retired from the military. I had a near death experience, and have met other who had come close to dying also. Though not religious, I am a firm believer in my Father, as are many others of different faiths and beliefs. So while I am all of the above, others have had some of the same experiences, and as friends I can share my experiences or troubles with them.
     By having this friends network of sorts, I am not alone. Those shared experiences draw the friendship down to a deeper level and not just being a surface level friendship. As in sobriety with sponsorship, the learning from someone else's experience in whatever matter is at hand, allows my knowledge to grow. Through sharing my experiences in the subject allows me to be of use to my fellows and hopefully gives them strength that they are not alone.
     For whenever I am down, be it emotionally, mentally, physically, spiritually or even financially, I have the tendency to be hard on myself. To exasperate the experience I am going through and make it feel much worse than actually is. I kick myself when I am down to say. At that point, I will usually call up the past mistakes I have made in life, just to verify the fact that I cannot do anything in Life right. When this happens I use to be able to count on myself to do something incredibly foolish. I hop on the stupid train and ride it for as long as I can. In reviewing my past, it has never failed to amaze me, my ability to rationalize the dumbest move a man can make, and justify my actions.
     Now through recognizing the commonality of spirit, with the problems that arise, I can reach out to someone I know who has had this problem and talk and share with them. That by-product of sobriety, the “I don't know” or the ability to ask for help, in spite of my ego and pride, allows me to feel apart of the community of friends around me, and a member of the worlds family.

Lot more to follow.later.

No comments:

Post a Comment